Tuesday, February 15, 2011

10 WTF coffeeshop moments (2)

5. Because there is a bus stop right in front of one of the Bean Traders, sometimes random... not looking for coffee just a place to sit...people end up in the shop. No one left a bigger mark than the angry lady who "left her mark" in our soft cushioned chair after the Barista told her she would need to make a purchase to stay in the shop.  Needless to say the soaked chair and the lady who was responsible for said chair had to go with the help of local law enforcement.

4. At BT there is no 'bus station'-a place for customers to put their dirty dishes, food remnants, and last sips of coffee. Instead there are two scenarios. 1) Customers leave their used dishes on their tables and a Barista clears and wipes the tables. 2) Customers bring dishes to the bar or kitchen.  But one day a third scenario played out. There was a table we had not cleared yet. On the table was an empty to-go cup and a few final bites of a muffin. A customer who was not in anyway connected to the table or person that left the table, came in before it was cleared and actually consumed left items and then approached the bar and ordered a refill with empty cup.
3. A motorist that was parked in front of the shop asked the Barista on break to blow into his breathalyzer ignition machine to help him start his car. Their brief conversation concluded and the Barista believed he had been drinking (uh..yea) so she said no to his request. He proceeded to ask other passing pedestrians while she went inside to call the police. When she returned to the front door he was driving off.  

2. Car pulling into parking space in front of BT hops the curb and drives directly into a support column that helps hold up the shopping center.  I braced for the shopping center to have a crumbling domino effect...but phew...she had only chipped the column she hit.

1. Beyond all these, my biggest WTF coffeeshop moment was definitely when a customer told me he would kill me.  This happened at the first coffeeshop I ever worked at.  I suggested he stop calling my co-worker sweetie, baby, honey, etc.  He wasn't cool with that and said if I ever said another word to him again...he would literally kill me.  He eventually came back in and said he might should have handled it differently...he wasn't going to kill me....we shook hands, and I continued to serve him until I left that job.

still alive to serve you in the am
DC

2 comments:

  1. I solemnly swear to never threaten your life, pee on your chairs, or try to run into the shop with my car. It's nice to know that makes me a model customer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That lady in #5 Smelled soooo bad.. You have NO IDEA!

    ReplyDelete